You probably think probiotics are just something that you need to have to regulate your digestion and prevent heartburn. But that is just a part of the whole picture – and a very small part at that.
“Why?” you ask?
Well, let’s then look in a little more detail into why you should consume probiotics regularly as a matter of habit…
Let’s start with…
What are probiotics?
Basically they are a way to replenish your gut flora. What is gut flora? It is a mixture of good bacteria (85%) and bad bacteria (15%) that make it possible for your body to properly break down the food you eat and ensure that the nutrition is extracted in a form that your body can absorb.
And since this bacteria has such a close relationship with basic nutrition, it also plays a large role in protecting your body against a huge number of illnesses such as:
- Allergic rhinitis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Common cold
- Atopic dermatitis
What happens when the gut flora isn’t adequate?
Well, first for some fact… On an average, there are said to be about a 100 trillion bacteria living in your gut. That is roughly 10 times as many cells as you have in your body!
Now when these bacteria (the majority of them are of the good kind) are working well – they make sure your digestive system is running smoothly. And they also break down your food and provide it in such a form that your intestinal lining can easily pick up the nutrients and transport it to your entire body.
But when this intestinal flora is less than adequate, digestion is hindered. And in turn, you can suffer from food allergies, heart disease, diabetes, obesity and even depression! And that is without mentioning any of the 170 illnesses that probiotics can go a long way in treating.
Therefore, the need of your body and of the times is for you to nurture your intestinal flora so that it can contribute to your health, the way it should.
And how can you do that?
By consuming more probiotics of course! Probiotics are usually foods that contain live cultures of quite a bit of these good bacteria that you need in your intestine. When you consume it in your food, they get to your intestine and get down to work straightaway!
The general food you eat – the sugar, the carbs and other unhealthy food choices - aren’t very hospitable for the gut flora and so they die out when exposed to these foods. Unhealthy foods actually encourage the bad bacteria to grow, and to control their numbers you need to ensure you supply the good kind as well via probiotics.
So how can you consume probiotics? Well, there are supplements alright, but natural means are usually better. And here are 5 solutions you should consider:
1. Sauerkraut – made at home, it allows for fermentation so that the good bacteria can grow in it.
2. Homemade ginger ale – ginger is naturally good for your digestion. And when you make it into ale, you allow good bacteria to ferment it and thrive.
3. Water kefir is another option. Here you add the good yeast to a sugar-water solution. The good yeast actually thrives by consuming the sugar. They create fizz in the drink and also help your digestive system!
4. Kvass is another option. This is another fermented juice – made from beets. In addition to containing probiotics, it also incorporates the beneficial substances that are there in beets.
5. Finally, there is always our favorite natural yogurt. Milk is turned to yogurt by the beneficial bacteria. And therefore this is a healthy and yummy source of probiotics as well!
So, now you know just how much more healthy you are going to be if only you start caring for the healthy bacteria in your gut? And as you have also seen, it isn’t a difficult task! All you need to do is take our tips and consume probiotics daily – and then just wait and watch how soon so many of your health problems (including heartburn) just clear up!